Monday, March 17, 2014

Promises, Promises or Make Your Own Flower S O F T for Lavender and Other Flowers

Yes, promises...I do solemnly promise the tutorials for the corset, stockings and tuffet are coming but I was so excited that this couldn't wait!
This has been stewing and bubbling in the little idea closet of my mind for probably about a year.

I wanted some of that Flower Soft stuff to play with but I always felt like it was a little pricey. I mean, it's just some kind of ground up something or other, right? (I must be truthful, I've never felt any of that stuff with my own hands but have seen photos of it in use.)

Anyway...do you have a little food chopper, old blender or food processor? Maybe a food processor you use for polymer clay or a blender that is languishing in the cabinet in the kitchen because you learned your lesson the hard way the last time you had Margarita Night? ;) *snicker*

Yep...see that paper up there in  pic? That is Bazzil card stock..it has a white core...I really don't think it matters which brand or that the paper has a white core, that's just what I happened to have in the colors I wanted to use for some lavender.  I used three shades of purple.  I would be willing to bet you could use construction paper but it might not hold up as well - haven't tried it.

So, yes, tear that paper up into...ehm, maybe one inch squares? I apologize, I was so excited, I forgot to take any pics of the process but it's not rocket science.  Throw some torn bits of paper into that poor, disused blender and then drop in a couple drops of water...not too much! We don't want to make paper pulp. I tried it first without any water and it created a lot of super fine dust and built up a lot of static.  The water really helped...just wet your fingers under the faucet and shake them off into the blender/food chopper cup.  I set my little chopper on high but you might want to first start on a little lower setting and see how things go.
You want the paper chopped up fine but not pulverized to dust.


Voila! Is that cool or what?  I'm sure I will think of lots of uses for this but for now, I made some little Lavender stems with florist's wire (the wire needed to be a little bit finer but this was an experiment) and my super sticky favorite glue in the whole wide world.
Easy Peasey.
I know, you, my friends, will make something wonderful with this idea! I'd love to see what you do.



9 comments:

  1. How clever of you to come up with this. I must go and look at my papers. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative and so effective. Thank you for sharing. I have a feeling my cooking equipment will never be used for food again ;0P

    ReplyDelete
  3. un trabajo muy bonito, gracias por compartirlo

    besitos

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is clever and a very good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is clever and a very good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad this is useful to you!
    I played around a bit more last night (was supposed to be cleaning house for guests coming this weekend...ha!) anyway, instead of adding a bit of water, I added a bit of food coloring because I wanted a deeper color. It worked well but alcohol ink would work best, I think. I need to buy some in colors other than what I have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! Thank you, I will have to try it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic idea and one I will try one day. Thank you for sharing.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cool idea. And your enthusiasm shines through too - wouldn't mind hearing the Margarita story sometime ;-) Thanks for sharing this great idea.....I feel some lavender coming on!!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments!