Sunday, January 26, 2014

I've been absent.

Hello friends!
If you are still there, I want to apologize for being away so long. I've missed creating and sharing minis so very much. It seems like there is just never enough time for all the things that interest me.
Edit: You can thank Norma of Make Mine Mini for re-igniting my fire :) She reminded me of the wonderful friends and things I had been missing. Thank you Norma, I hope we can meet some day so I can hug you up.

I've decided to make some changes and to focus on my miniature business.
I will be opening a new online shop selling my dressed miniatures as well as ready mades.

Hopefully, I will have more tutorials to share in the near future. :)  I'm playing catch up with all my favorite blogs, I've missed your wonderful inspirations!

For now, here is something I've been working on for some customers of mine. I am working on three room boxes, in both 1:6 and 1:12 scales.
This little box is 1:6. The little doll is a Secret Person doll. The larger doll is a Blythe doll, she is about the size of Barbie with a very over-sized head. ;)




I've enlisted the help of my wonderful neighbor, Art. He has the most wonderful wood working shop and does beautiful work. He has helped me to engineer these little room boxes so that the walls are reversible and they are easily assembled and disassembled for shipping and storage.

Something else I have run across in my wanderings....Chalk Paint. Have you heard of this?  Not ChalkBOARD paint, but chalk paint.  I'm probably late to the party but I had always wondered what people used to paint real life vintage furniture that gave such nice coverage. 
What's so special about chalk paint and why would a miniaturist be interested in that?  It works beautifully for mass produced doll furniture. No primer needed. You can cover up that gawd awful red or orange lacquer that is used on so many of the factory pieces. The paint must be sealed with waxing or poly but it is worth it.  I will post more on this later with some examples for you.  If you are interested, you can make your own chalk paint, just Google 'chalk paint recipes' and you will find a wealth of information out there. Chalk paint can also be purchased from some retailers that have their own special formulae but it is rather pricey and the colors are limited...I prefer to make my own :) .

4 comments:

  1. It's so very nice to hear that you are back. The room boxes are so pretty. I look forward to more posts about chalk paint. I am familiar with its many qualities but have never used it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. veo que has estado trabajadora , me gusta mucho esas fotos, lo de la pintura de tiza lo encuentro interesante, esperare mas noticias

    besitos

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wlcome back!
    Beautiful scenes.
    Bye, Faby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo hoo!! So glad to see you back - I'm away from home at the moment so only have the occasional quick chance to check emails and take the quickest look at a couple of blogs so I'll be back to read this again properly shortly but I did note your mention of chalk paint. I dearly wish we could get the sample pots of Annie Sloan paint here but sadly not. I've been a bit scared to try making my own because I hear that it gets thick and sets kind of quickly. Lately I've been using a chalky acrylic that's made for backgrounds in the 'real art world' - gives a similar finish I think. Anyway have to dash but will catch up again soon I hope xx

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments!