Saturday, July 9, 2011

Working on the Vermont Farmhouse Jr.

Hello Dear Friends!
Wow! Thank you all so much for your kind words!

I am tired...yes, I am. I've been building my first dollhouse. I've made roomboxes and dioramas for some time but this is my first dollhouse. The kit is the Vermont Farmhouse Jr. from Real Good Toys. I love the front porch on this one and it was very reasonably priced, especially with a 40% off coupon from Hobby Lobby.

Putting the house together is not super difficult but it is time consuming. Kudos to the pros out there - it's hard work.

I must confess that I couldn't resist 'dressing' one room before finishing the porch and have not put on the roof! The temptation was just too great ;) I wonder how many newbie dollhouse builders have caved in to impulsiveness as I have?




I feel that this bed is too large and clunky for this room. What do you think? I am trying to use what I have or what I can make with what I have. This bed was mine in my childhood dollhouse and has been through many nephews and nieces...needless to say, I had to glue it back together. LOL. I have a whole box of things that need repair.
The little dressing table needs mirrors. Perhaps if I rearrange things a bit, the bed won't overwhelm the little dressing table? Perhaps I should just take out the dressing table but I really like it.
Of course the little chair won't be staying but I will make one specially for this room.

As you can see in the top photo, I've only gotten one cornice and drapes finished. I got really frustrated with them and so now must force myself to do the other one *grin*

This little dresser still needs knobs. It was missing all eight of it's drawers so I used strip wood to create false drawers and doors. The woodwork around the room was also made from strip wood.
Still a lot to do but it is fun fun!
Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
Daphne

12 comments:

  1. Hola Dafne, es verdad que es difícil no preparar una habitación cuando empezamos una nueva casa, aunque no se haya terminado la fachada o la estructura. Es el impetu de un nuevo proyecto. A mi me parecen preciosos tus muebles. La habitación se ve muy romántica.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is looking wonderful, no wonder you gave in to temptation with all those lovely images floating around in your head. As for the bed, I'd keep the foot board and use it as a head board and cut the head board down low for a foot board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful room! I'm not a newbie but I still have to set up all the rooms many times throughout the building process. I use the excuse that it's refining my vision - but maybe it's just having fun playing, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your curtains! What fabric did you use? It looks like gauze--so very drapey and pretty!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just LOVELY! I don't think the bed is too large for the room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful room, the curtains are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a look. So beautiful. The walls and furniture are beautiful. I would not change it so much nostalgia. I know that feeling, my head full of ideas than I want to accomplish .... but time is lacking.
    nice weekend Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your bed. I am a newbie but i dont think it looks to big.The room is beautiful. Enjoy your house. Looking forward to see how you progress. Greetings Maria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I'm a newbie to your blog and I've enjoyed reading some of your posts.

    I love the bed and I think once you've dressed it, it will soften the edges and look much less "clunky".

    Thanks for sharing :o)
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  10. The construction phase can get a bit boring, I think dressing a room, even if it's just temporary, helps to keep you motivated. And anyway an artist must follow the heart...

    I think the bed is fine, how wonderful to have something so precious from your childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One bedroom curtains are n preciosa.Las great job, you've achieved a very real effect! It'll be a very beautiful room. Very good project. regards

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can understand what you mean, I have decorated several rooms without having the front of my house been finished :).
    The room looks great, and I don`t think the bed is to large. In real life bed also have different sizes, especially the old beds?
    Mona

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments!